1.4.2. Engine overheat
If the thermometer indicates too high temperature of cooling liquid or the engine does not develop full capacity or operation of the engine is followed by strong knocks or the whistling sound, then the engine overheat is the possible reason.
1. Observing precautionary measures, curtail on a roadside or to the region of the carriageway and stop.
2. Transfer the lever of the switch of ranges to situation "P" (parking) (cars with automatic transmission) or the gear shifting lever in neutral situation (cars with the mechanical transmission). Turn on the parking brake
3. Switch off the air conditioner.
4. Check existence of splashes of cooling liquid or steam which is coming out from under a cowl or a motor compartment.
If the motor compartment comes out steam.
You do not approach close a forward part of the car. Kill the engine. Then turn the ignition switch in the provision of "ON" (ignition is included). Do not start the engine. Fans of the cooling system will turn on and will begin to cool the engine.
In the absence of a steam-out and emission of cooling liquid.
Open a cowl and let's the engine work idling until it cools down. If at the same time temperature of the engine does not decrease, kill the engine and let's it cool down.
5. After cooling of the engine check the level of cooling liquid. If the level of cooling liquid is lower than norm, check existence of a leak of liquid in connections and hoses of a radiator, the heat exchanger of a heater, a radiator and in consolidations of the pump of the cooling system.
If you did not find any malfunctions and the leak of cooling liquid is absent, then after cooling of the engine carefully add cooling liquid and bring its level to norm.